So its going to be two years of G and me meeting eachother, next month on the 1oth. I am sure you have known of so many couples celebrating the day as their "love anniversary"(i also know of people who celebrate their "kiss anniversary" and to shock them i say,i dont remember my "sex anniversary :p)
anyways the pint is, that i dont celebrate love anniversary,but what i do celebrate is "Eureka" i found the one man,impossible to find, non-existent in the marriage market and definitely too good to be true...and the irony is G is not at all the kinds who would have fit into my category of men..you ask why?
I fancied men with 6 packs
i liked men who had a beast of a bike which i could ride on
i fantasized a smoking kiss inside a convertible
only a man with manicured hands would hold me hand
He should not have a moustache
Someone whose chest i would reach when i stand barefoot
He should be the only child
And i dint want to marry a Bengali
And marriage s,as per me , were mockd upon,if you met through matrimonial website
most importantly i would "see" the guy for a year before we marry
"G" and i met for 15 minutes,in a nearby restaurant,with both sets of parents "taking a walk" outside,and i knew i wanted to marry him:) thats why i say it was a "eureka " day for me and the rest is history that has been happening over the last two years..
So you ask whats history?? here is a little glimpse
- As per our bengali customs i am not supposed to have a hair cut till we finish a year of marrigae
- The husband and wife sleep on the same bed on the night of marriage or stay in the same room,but in the presence of others (talk about temptations)
- when i entred G's house for the first time ,i was handed a live fish,slippery and struggling in my hand as i took my first step across the threshold.the custom says that if the fish slips out of my hand i would not be too good at running a house or husband :)
- newly married brides are supposed to be shy,docile and quiet
- As his wife i am supposed to be obedient and do as he says
- Today,after almost a year and a half of marriage,i am not supposed to call him by his name...i do
- as shown in most serials and movies about wives waking up early morning ,in the in-laws house to water the "Tulsi",i continue waking up at 9,and have my tea and toast ready
- The sons wife should be preferable dressed in saaree when her in-laws are around
- its my duty to cook and clean after him,but the man helps me with the dinner table every night and cleans the table too *touchwood touchwood*
- i look at myself and say "incomplete" if my "shidur"(vermillion) is missing from my forehead
- a year and a half of marriage and i am completely at ease talking for hours as G listens to me quitely,making sure he reacts at the right moment..or else what follows is "you never listen to me baby".
- he is sometimes the one who wake up at 6 to water the "tulsi" make some life -saving ginger tea in bed..
- so many contradictions in life from my expectations,but yet i never seem to ask God for anything more(only a Wiao note book )
And to think,he was exactly what i dint have in mind during my search in the marriage market.And also the wonderful family that i am married to definitely calls for me shouting"eureka" with my clothes on!!! remember i told you..i dont remember my "sex anniversary"