Thursday, October 17, 2013

Our day of love..

I have always had an aversion for the yellow metal, and dispite its strong addiction quotient in our community I never did fathom the craze for it.

As a Bengali ,your life begins with Gold, rather when I was conceived, the story goes, that my grandmother got a golden statuette of lord Krishna in the prayer room. After 9 months ,on my arrival, she had said “I got my share of a golden little Lokhi(Lakshmi) also”

As a kid, I would remember Ma taking me along to the various jewellery shops in old Kolkata, peering over intricate designs, checking the weight, asking the goldsmith about the purity and haggling on the price. As a token of appreciation, I would be given my “personal” share of “Norel gurer Roshogolla”. For those who are new to this let me make it easy…THIS is what good stuff is made of. I could any day trade G for a lifetime supply of Norel Gurer Roshogolla.

At 25 , the marriage Gods conspired and got me hitched with G.Our first meeting was over a glass of lemonade, having our respective set of parents taking a stroll outside so we could have some privacy.I told him some things clear and straight, I don’t eat/cook/like fish, I have a very big social circle and he would have to be nice to them if and when needed and finally, I want babies..lots of them and quickly. He has never told me which of these three confessions shocked him the most. In return he said” I have a Himesh Reshamiya CD in my car I listen to quite often.

As the wedding preparations caught speed, G and I prepared for our marriage. We sipped coffee and spoke of  our love for books, we met near the sea and I told him of my childhood wish of walking bare feet on the sea beach with the man I would marry. He told me about his undying love for PS2 and how he and the wolfgang would spend their monthly earnings on bowling and go-carting. We discussed how our respective sets of families were preparing for the Big day, while we were busy discussing how we would plan my travel to work once I relocate to Pune.

I got the leave approved for my wedding a week prior and same was his story and since we were both “Probashi Bangalis” we had to travel to our respective hometowns  where he functions would be happening. As we met for one last time as a boy and girl, the last walk as two separate names I realized I was very quiet. The usually chirp, talkative descriptive girl was thinking about what lay ahead. I was marrying a man whom I met 4 times in three months, a man who openly claims he would have been a fisherman if not a techie, a man who said his dream destination would be Beer and Prawns (that’s how he still perceives  a holiday). I would no longer be the every night pub hopping girl my friends loved, no longer the one who would be tagged as “Single”..the game was changing.

And while I had these questions running in my mind, we found a little bench, just in front of the sea, to sit and take it all in. I remember sitting close to him , feeling the chill of the January wind. And he turned , faced me and just handed me a card. That’s G for you, the silent killer J I opened it and it said “I might not know what Bhalobasha is all about but I do want to ask you, Will you marry me ?”
And out came a tiny little box, and he opened it for me taking out a shimmering little band of Platinum. A simple, elegant and timeless band, which slid in perfectly into my finger. And I remember him saying “I know you don’t like Gold so I couldn’t do a solitaire, and also I have started saving for Ireland someday, so this is for now “

Today 6 years into being Mrs Mukherjee, that band has been my loyal companion on my job interviews, on special formal dinner parties,visiting the Gynaec for the first time on finding out i was expecting, on signing the ownership papers the day we bought our home, the drive back home carrying our 4 day old daughter,the day i took my bike out on the roads for the first time..its been with me sturdy like the emotion it represents. I have worn a Saree and sipped Vodka in it, I have sat by the Holy Fire praying
to the Gods, wearing it, I have worn it while swimming in the Goan waters and while playing with Shindur on our first Durga Pujo after marriage..its a reminder of us, our love..timeless and enduring.

It was not just for then, but forever. Its been the most precious piece of jewellry I have ever owned, because it spoke of a man who has been the wind beneath my wings. That was the day we found love, on a little bench, facing the sea, and feeling the chill of the January wind, our Platinum day of love.




This blog post was inspired by Platinum Day of Love by Indiblogger

18 comments:

Lady Whispers said...

When I read about this theme 'day of love' I knew what I had to write and now I read you and feel my fictional day of love could be indeed reality for many.
Platinum is something I love as I am so not a gold person and I always want my guy to get for me to tell of his love.
As I grew old I was okay with maybe marrying someone I might not know much but I want that one moment before marriage when I knew he is it and this seaside and his way was the way I always wanted...and you lived it man...
I am teary eyes....Gosh you are just my dream pair....God bless you always :)

sulagna said...

:) Thanks a lot guys !! its a blessing to have him yes, and platinum or no platinum, true love can be found anytime..even when i ask him to get me a bottle of water in the middle of the night cuz i am afraid of the dark.

Anonymous said...

"even when i ask him to get me a bottle of water in the middle of the night cuz i am afraid of the dark." this happened just last week at my home :D

Lady Whispers said...

You said it :D Its being there when you need him the most. For me it would be getting rid of lizards all the time :D

Tongue-fu Lady said...

Aww..such a beautiful love story - your writing gave such a childlike innocence to it that I couldn't help but got a bit teary eyed. :) God bless your union forever and ever!

Apurva said...

That was beautiful. Some simple little thing in life becomes our anchor forever! Isnt that just beyond amazing?

Apurva said...

A little lump in my throat would explain my feelings in a better way... :)

Alka Gurha said...

This post connects beautifully with the contest idea. And yet it post stands out on its own. Wish you happiness always Sulagna.

Anupriya DG said...

Ohhh...that's just so sweet!!! *Surely gonna make my guy read this* :))

Red Handed said...

Indeed your day of love!!!! Love is beautiful...be it before of after marriage. and reading this...all I want to say is 'GOD BLESS YOU BOTH'

The Enchantress said...

There is always with beautiful fragrance surrounding me when i read you...love is all about you two ! you;re my inspiration..

Unknown said...

Aw...That's a such a beautiful way to propose!! Wonderful post yet again :)

S. said...

You've been awarded on my blog.See http://veiled-chapters.blogspot.in/2013/11/just-when-i-thought-im-writing-for.html :D

Dr. Lawrence Kindo said...

Really sweet and well written too. All the best for the contest.

By the way, I hope you like my story at http://www.indiblogger.in/indipost.php?post=293795

Dipti Malhotra said...

this is the dream of every girl... very happy for you, and very happy you cherish your love exactly like it should be.

sulagna said...

Thanks guys :) like i say ...love is in ordinary people, who do extraordinary things cuz the are in love

SG said...

I don’t know how I missed this post. Congratulations to both of you and may God bless you both 60 more years of happy married life together. You were married on October 17? We will remember that date for ever. Our son was born on October 17.

Richa said...

Hi there

I would like to steal an opportunity of tagging you in this entry http://clouds-rain-and-sunshine.blogspot.ae/2013/12/paus-iii-pinkys-groom-hunt.html

Please accept the tag. :)

look forward to read your take.

 
template by suckmylolly.com